Shopify Unite – What is it? And why we flew half way around the world to go (as an Agency)
- What is Shopify Unite?
- Why we decided to go to Shopify Unite in 2018
- The types of people you can meet at Shopify Unite
- What we did at Shopify Unite
- What we gained from Shopify Unite
- I still had a good time,
- I made some great connections,
- I was able to use the opportunity to promote Lamb, and
- I found the Unite conference content valuable and worth the 20-hour flight and week of time.
What is Shopify Unite?Unite is the annual global developer and partner conference for Shopify. It brings together digital agencies, app creators, Shopify staff and some merchants together for 3 days to educate and inspire.The event is a series of workshops split into two streams ‘building’ and ‘scaling’.
- ‘Building’ focused on user experience and technical capabilities of Shopify, and
- ‘Scaling’ covered more of the business opportunities and practices for companies that work within the Shopify ecosystem.
Why we decided to go to Shopify Unite in 2018Lamb Agency has traditionally not attended conferences, especially not international ones. We usually have the opportunity to find out about new technologies as part of the day to day work we do for clients. For us, it ultimately came down to the fact that Shopify has been an increasing part of our revenue stream for the last 12 months which led us to decide internally that we should take Shopify more seriously.
The types of people you can meet at Shopify UniteConferences will always have their fair share of workshops and information sessions that carry all the standard information you want to know about. Shopify did a good job of recording the different session so that we could view them at a later time.The great thing I found about Unite was the space made available to network with other attendees. I loved the centralised positioning of the chill-out area. It was fantastic for facilitating the connection that I think is most valuable when attending conferences. The event organisers provided this handy little lanyard that you could touch against another participant’s lanyard to exchange contact details. This was super neat technology.We used this opportunity to connect with a range of people
- Agency owners - I met agency owner from South Africa, New Zealand, Chile, Austria and of course locals from Canada and America. These were probably the most interesting valuable and mutually beneficial conversations I had.
- Shopify staff – There was a tonne of Shopify staff at the event that we could speak to. I personally think I could have done a better job at engaging them. Practically, we probably gained more from getting to know our local representative better, who was present at the event. Talia(our local rep) was a lifesaver with a battery pack when I failed to properly charge my event one day.
- Notable Shopify peeps – Every time I log into the partner's platform, I'm usually greeted by a guy wearing a camouflage suit jacket. This is actually Kurt Elster. He’s a bit of a Shopify celebrity. He runs a popular Shopify podcast – Unofficial Shopify Podcast. I found the story behind the “camo” jacket quite interesting (he didn’t mean to make it his trademark). I also bumped into the Shopify CEO and got a good photo with our Lamb.
- App companies – This was a great pitching opportunity for app providers. For most websites that we produce, there would be up to half a dozen additional paid plugins that we would install. We found a couple of providers that solved a few pain points like Nextopia, Smile.io, and Klaviyo. Day to day we have no particular allegiance to any apps, so getting to know the people behind the apps was great.
What we did at Shopify UniteWhile the conference wasn’t our target market for client acquisition, we used the opportunity to build an awareness of the Lamb Agency brand. We have an interest in a having a voice in the Shopify ecosystem, so our plan was that for every Shopify sanctioned session or event, I would carry a Lamb statue with me.Between dealing with my increasingly tired arm and being constantly worried about breaking the lamb (dropped at waist height, it will shatter) – it was a good experience. It was a good conversation starter and exposed me to a range of people I may otherwise not have approached.I took our Lamb to:
- A 5km morning run
- After party drinks
- Information sessions
- Networking breaks
What we gained from Shopify Unite
- We connected with a range of agencies around the world that we will continue to share our approach and learning with.
- Our developer now has insight into capabilities launched at the event and other functionalities that we hadn’t looked into too deeply, providing us with a richer broader understanding of the platform.
- It was good to hear the opinions and expertise of other agencies.
- It exposed us to complementary products and service providers we would not normally have been exposed to. We will be investigating new Shopify applications following from this.
Bottom lineI never got used to the time zones for my time in Canada. I ended up sleeping for two phases of 3-4 hours, overnight and later in the afternoon. Next time I’ll plan things out and I’ll make sure I have a smarter consideration of jet lag to reduce the interruption to my schedule.In spite of the rough ride this caused, attending Shopify Unite was definitely worth going. The information I gathered, and the connections I made were great. But ultimately it was being away from the agency, looking at what others were doing, and thinking about the bigger picture was a BIG shot in the arm as motivation to lift our Shopify game.
About Lamb AgencyLamb Agency is a Shopify expert, we are a Shopify development expert. We work with local and national brands including Dissh Boutiques, Oz Trail, Rhythm Livin and many others. We have extensive experience in the construction and optimisation of online stores. We have also created bespoke eCommerce solutions for other companies like Virgin Australia, National Storage, and Lite n Easy.
Let's grow your business together.
Get design inspiration, practical takeaways and free resources to help you find and delight clients.