How to create a website brief in 60 minutes (including shortcuts to get an estimate quickly)
- Start with something
- Where is the organisation going?
- Who are your key competitors
- Reference websites
- Getting an estimate quickly
- If your budget is limited
Start with somethingA little information can go a long way to helping us provide you with a quick estimate. It also helps you make sure that you are selecting an agency that fits in your pricing level.There are three pieces of information that can provide a shortcut to getting an estimate quickly
- Where is your organisation going, how is this project helping the bigger picture?
- Who are your key competitors, where do you see yourself against them?
- What are examples of sites you like or have a similar complexity to what you are trying to achieve?
1. Your organisationUnderstanding your organisation is critical to framing the project. I am most interested in whether you are achieving a strategic or an operational solution.Examples:
- A simple overview of your business direction and how digital plays into the organisation's strategy (or operational demands)
2. Key CompetitorsUnderstanding your competitors helps us determine the digital sophistication of your industry, and will help us extrapolate the strength of the solution that is required for your industry. You may be in a green field or a highly competitive industry.The more sophisticated your competitors are, the more sophisticated you need to be. For example, if your key competitors are Suncorp and Bank of Queensland then being competitive in digital is a significantly larger consideration than if you were a niche B2B equipment manufacturer.Most companies will know who their competitors are, but it’s seriously worth finding them through Google and taking a customer-centric view of how they are perceived through their website.We don't need a list of all of your competitors (especially if there are dozens), just the ones that are noteworthy.What we need to know
- A simple list of competitors
- A basic commentary on their comparative position. Are they the leader, innovator, laggard?
- How do you compare to your competitors? (now, and in the future)
3. Reference WebsitesLamb Agency is capable of producing some very high-quality work. But high-quality work mandates a higher budget. Providing us with a reference gives us an idea of what your expectation of quality is. This is not universally agreed upon and varies drastically on the individual and company.You may provide us with a style which is relatively well established and can be done with a tighter budget. Or you may present a high-concept website which requires a heavy amount of custom work to be done.For us, some web design styles can be a lot more expensive to execute than others.Examples
Getting a budget quicklyIf you have the information above, you should be able to get a very quick ballpark estimate.This information is something you could provide through an online enquiry or initial email. You should be able to query a pricing estimate to get a sense of whether the company is going to work well for you or not.This, of course, is going to be an estimate, possibly a ranged estimate, rather than a fixed quote. There will be all kinds of stipulations about keeping that number. But from a budgeting perspective, if someone estimates the website could be $20,000-$30,000 that is something that budgets can be built around.
If your budget is limitedIf digital isn’t strategic for your organisation or if you have a tight budget to work with, it can be worth considering early on what the essentials are. Talk to your agency about automatic inclusions in their projects, and what may not be necessary at this point in time.Ways you could save money would be to reduce the amount of design used within the website. You don't need to design every-single-element on your website.
Bottom linePutting together a complete brief is not something to be rushed. But having a good quick reference for your agency is a good starting point to kick things off in the right direction and will allow you to get a budget indication and get more pointed questions about what they need to give you a good quote.Coming to an agency with a bit of information about your organisation, your competitors and a few references is a quick and effective way of starting.
About Lamb AgencyLamb Agency is an industry-leading provider of digital solutions. We have worked with very large like Lite n Easy, NTI, National Storage, and All Trades Queensland. We pride ourselves on our unshakable commitment to delivery, 100% in our 4-year history.
Let's grow your business together.
Get design inspiration, practical takeaways and free resources to help you find and delight clients.